Sunday 2 June 2013

Is it possible for users to insert forbidden characters into sites with htmlentities or mysqlescapestring?

Is it possible for users to insert forbidden characters into sites with htmlentities or mysqlescapestring?

So, in my brief research in PHP security, I have been guided toward two important functions to remove forbidden characters from forms. One being "htmlentities" and the other being "mysql_escape_string" - what I am wondering is if there is a common way for hackers to insert malicious forbidden characters in to the forms despite the functions. I am suspicious that this is possible, since this is such a commonly employed security technique. Is an extra layer of security needed?
NB: I understand that mysql_escape_string may become deprecated soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment